Finding yourself in the middle of a sideswipe car accident in Louisville, KY, can be a traumatic experience. It is important to be prepared if you are unfortunately the victim of this type of collision, and you may be able to achieve that with the following important steps.
Remember, we are always here to help
If you have been involved in an accident through no fault of your own, call Hughes & Coleman Injury Lawyers right away. A car accident lawyer at Hughes & Coleman is here to help, and our legal team will answer your questions 24/7. We will consult with you free of charge to discuss your case.
Get it done.
When sideswiped in Louisville, KY, it’s important to know what to do and the necessary next steps to follow
In this video, Attorney Lee Coleman discusses the most important things to do after a sideswipe collision in Louisville, including multiple ways a car accident lawyer can assist you. Giving you this peace of mind will also allow you to concentrate on the physical and emotional recovery for you and your loved ones.
Whether it be on I-65, or in downtown Louisville, if you become involved in a sideswipe accident on the streets of Louisville, KY, follow these steps to help you secure a strong personal injury claim:
- First: Check yourself and your passengers for any injuries.
- Always call 911 right away. If a police officer doesn’t come to the accident scene, go ahead and submit a civilian collision report to the Kentucky State Police. This is required by Kentucky law within 10 days of the sideswipe accident, so getting it done early is critical.
- Get the medical attention you need. Your health and safety come first. With that in mind, you should seek medical treatment and keep all documents related to your injuries for your insurance claims and personal injury case. Don’t stress about medical bills. Your health is the priority. A car accident attorney will be there to support you along the way.
- When it’s safe, secure your vehicle from oncoming traffic. If it doesn’t put you in a dangerous situation, move your vehicle to a location that’s away from oncoming traffic. Getting your vehicle to the side of the road will put you and your car in a safer position and keep other drivers from running into it.
- Get photos and video to document the accident scene. Taking photos and/or videos of the accident is important to support your injury claim later. Getting photos of all vehicles and damage from multiple angles can help you remember important details about the accident and serve as evidence to support your personal injury claim. Besides vehicle damage, get photos of any injuries and the area around the accident scene. Photos of things like other cars that may be involved, speed limit signs, or skid marks can help tell the story of what happened.
- Make sure to get details about the accident. This is crucial for the police report and for your accident lawyer when putting together a case. Write down or even voice record the date, time and location of where it happened, the mile marker, and which direction the vehicles were headed.
- Exchange driver’s licenses, insurance and other contact information with the other driver or drivers involved. Write down and take photos of the driver’s license, insurance card, address, phone number, email, and vehicle information, including the make, model, and license plate number. Also, ask for the vehicle identification number (VIN) located on the dashboard on the driver’s side. If you were involved in a truck accident, note the company names on the cab or trailer. A truck accident lawyer at our firm can use this information to identify the owner and operator.
- Talk to witnesses at the scene and get their contact information. Write down and record their name, phone number, and email if possible.
- Do not accept or admit blame for the accident, as it’s still under investigation. Gather evidence and let your car accident attorney investigate.
- Contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Louisville, KY. The legal process can be complicated, and a licensed professional experienced in vehicle accidents can help you get through the complex process and help secure the compensation you deserve.
How will Louisville’s experienced car accident lawyers help if you’ve been hurt in a sideswipe accident?
If you were involved in a sideswipe collision in Louisville, KY, you understand how scary and stressful it can be. Fortunately, the attorneys at Hughes & Coleman Injury Lawyers are here to help. We know that the aftermath of a car accident can be overwhelming, which is why our experienced team can help you through every step of the process.
If you’ve been injured in a sideswipe accident, our personal injury law firm can assist you in recovering compensation for various damages, including property damage, medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
It’s crucial to contact an attorney as soon as possible following a wreck, so reach out to us at 800-800-4600 for a free consultation, available to you 24/7. Get it done.
Sideswipe accidents are common in the state of Kentucky, and it is one of the most common types of accidents in Louisville
According to the 2020 Kentucky Traffic Collision Facts Report [PDF], sideswipe collisions (both meeting and passing) reflect more than 20% of all collisions and 6 % of fatal collisions. Sideswipe collisions are also one of the most common accidents in Louisville, along with other types of accidents, like rear-end collisions.
Types of sideswipe accidents
There are two types of sideswipe accidents that can happen, including collisions from the opposite direction and crashes that occur when the vehicles involved are traveling in the same direction.
Opposite direction sideswipe accident
This type of sideswipe accident occurs when two vehicles traveling in opposite directions make contact with each other while driving parallel to each other. It can happen when one driver crosses over the centerline or median or when both drivers veer simultaneously toward the same side of the road. In this type of sideswipe accident, the point of impact is typically at the sides of the vehicles, near the front or rear. The damage may be limited to the vehicles’ sides or can be more extensive, depending on the speed and angle of impact. These accidents can be very dangerous, resulting in loss of vehicle control, spinouts, and even head-on collisions.
Same-direction sideswipe accident
A same-direction sideswipe accident occurs when two vehicles traveling in the same direction make contact while driving parallel to each other. This type of accident can happen when one driver changes lanes without checking their blind spot or when both drivers try to merge into the same lane at the same time. These accidents can be dangerous, as they can result in loss of vehicle control, spinouts, and even multi-vehicle collisions if other cars are in close proximity. Same-direction sideswipe accidents are more common on highways and multi-lane roads, such as I-75, where drivers frequently change lanes.
Common factors of sideswipe accidents
There are several factors that can contribute to a sideswipe wreck in Louisville.
- Distracted drivers: Let’s face it, it happens every day. Drivers are not paying attention to the road. They may be on a cell phone, eating or talking to passengers, and they may drift into the path of another vehicle, causing a sideswipe accident.
- Not using signals: It’s a huge problem when drivers do not use their turn signals when turning or changing lanes; it can surprise other drivers causing them to swerve or hit the brakes.
- Reckless driving: A big reason for sideswipe accidents comes with drivers speeding, tailgating, or weaving in and out of traffic. This increases the likelihood of causing a crash.
- Impaired driving: Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol may have impaired judgment making it more likely for them to cause a sideswipe accident.
- Fatigue: Sleepy drivers can be as dangerous as those that are impaired. They’re not alert and may have reduced reaction time.
- Road conditions: Fog, rain, and ice are environmental factors that can reduce visibility and traction and make it easier for a driver to lose control.
How to determine fault in a Louisville sideswipe accident
Who hit who? Determining fault or who caused a sideswipe accident in Louisville, KY, can be challenging and complex. Police are usually involved, as are insurance adjusters. Again, this is why having an experienced car accident lawyer is so important, especially when there is an injury claim.
Several factors determine who is at fault, including:
- Physical evidence like scratches or paint transfer on the vehicles
- The statements of eyewitnesses
- The position and movement of the vehicles before and after the impact
- Skid marks left on the road can also be useful in evaluating fault.
Traffic camera footage may be available if the accident happened in an area with cameras and could become very important. The police report is also evidence, as it contains the accident details, including statements from drivers, witnesses, and any physical evidence.
Because every sideswipe accident is different, it’s crucial to work with an experienced car accident law firm in Louisville, KY, that has the resources to investigate the accident on your behalf. Your lawyer understands the legal process and will work toward a fair settlement.
You can still be compensated in Louisville, Kentucky, even if you were partly at fault
Car accidents in Kentucky are governed by a pure comparative negligence law. That means you may be able to recover damages from the other driver, even if you were partially responsible for the accident. If it can be proven that the other driver may bear some responsibility for the crash, you may be able to get some compensation.
Common injuries after sideswipe accidents
A sideswipe car crash may cause several injuries, including:
- Soft tissue injuries
- Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Internal injuries
- Psychological injuries, such as anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder
Your health and safety are essential. Seek medical attention after a sideswipe car accident, even if you don’t have immediate symptoms. Your back may feel a little off the day of the accident, but the next day you may be experiencing pain. Some injuries take time to appear, and delaying treatment can worsen the condition. If you have been involved in a sideswipe car accident, it’s recommended that you consult with a medical professional and a law firm that can help you understand your rights and options.
You don’t have to work with the insurance company alone
If you’ve been hurt by a negligent driver in a sideswipe collision, hire an experienced attorney to negotiate a settlement on your behalf. Insurance companies may offer far less than what an accident victim deserves. Initial injuries and damages are not the only things to consider. You could later find yourself needing long-term care, experiencing future lost wages, and having other needs that the insurance did not take care of. Take every means necessary to avoid money issues down the road. Hire a law firm that has experience handling personal injury claims.
Get it done. Call Hughes & Coleman Injury Lawyers today
Hiring the Louisville personal injury attorneys at Hughes & Coleman Injury Lawyers as soon as possible ensures the chance of you recovering the damages you’re entitled to. Let an experienced law firm deal with the insurance company and get you the most compensation possible.
Don’t wait. Contact us today. We’re here for you 24/7.
Get it done.