Experiencing a sideswipe car accident in Lexington, KY can be a difficult thing to go through. In the event of a collision, it’s crucial to understand the appropriate actions to take to obtain necessary care and compensation for your injuries.
If you have been injured due to someone else’s carelessness, the car accident lawyers at Hughes & Coleman Injury Lawyers are here to assist you. Our legal team is available 24/7, and we offer a free consultation to discuss your case. Contact us today.
Get it done.
After being sideswiped in Lexington, KY, it’s essential to follow the necessary steps
In this video, attorney Lee Coleman shares information on the most important actions to take after a sideswipe collision in Lexington. We will also discuss the various ways in which a car accident lawyer can assist you, allowing you to concentrate on your health and recovery.
After experiencing a sideswipe accident on the roads of Lexington, KY, following these steps can help ensure your safety and wellbeing, as well as strengthen your personal injury claim:
- Check yourself and your passengers for injuries.
- Dial 911 immediately, especially if medical attention is required. If a police officer is not dispatched to the scene, fill out and submit a crash report to the Department of Kentucky State Police. Kentucky law requires that you do this within 10 days of the incident.
- Seek prompt medical attention. Seeking medical treatment is critical to your recovery and can provide documentation of your injuries for your insurance claim and personal injury case. Now is not the time to worry about medical bills. Prioritize your health, then contact a car accident attorney for the best outcome possible.
- At the accident scene, secure yourself and your vehicle from oncoming traffic. If possible, move your vehicle to a safe location on the side of the road. This not only protects you from further harm, but also helps safeguard other motorists who may need to avoid the crash.
- Capture photos or video footage of the scene. Taking pictures can help you recall vital details about the accident and serve as evidence to support your personal injury claim. Be sure to photograph vehicle damage, injuries, and the surrounding area. If there are any skid marks, or other vehicles that were involved, get photos of those as well.
- Record important details about the accident, including the location, date and time of the incident, and the direction of each vehicle involved. This information will be helpful to include in the police report, and for your car accident lawyer.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver. Gather their driver’s license, insurance details, address, phone number, email, and vehicle information, including the make, model, and license plate number. Also, ask for the vehicle identification number (VIN), located on the dashboard on the driver’s side.
- Obtain the contact information of witnesses. Record their name, phone number, and email if possible.
- Refrain from admitting fault to anyone involved. Leave the determination of fault to your car accident attorney, who can evaluate the situation thoroughly.
- Contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Lexington, KY. They can assist you in navigating the complex legal process and securing the compensation you deserve for your injuries and other damages.
How Lexington car accident lawyers can help if you’ve been injured in a sideswipe accident
If you’ve recently experienced a sideswipe collision in Lexington, KY, you understand how disorienting and stressful it can be. Fortunately, the attorneys at Hughes & Coleman Injury Lawyers are here to help. We know that the aftermath of a car accident can be overwhelming, which is why our experienced team can help you through every step of the process.
If you’ve been injured in a sideswipe accident, our personal injury law firm can assist you in recovering compensation for various damages, including property damage, medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
It’s crucial to contact an attorney as soon as possible following a wreck, so reach out to us at 800-800-4600 for a free consultation, available to you 24/7. Get it done.
Sideswipe accidents in Lexington, KY are one of the most common types of collisions
According to the Lexington Police Department’s 2021 annual traffic report, between 2017 and 2021, there have been 14,816 sideswipe accidents in Lexington, KY, making them the second most common type of car wreck in Lexington, behind only rear end collisions.
This total is a combination of two types of sideswipe accidents that can occur, which include opposite direction and same direction collisions.
Types of sideswipe accidents
There are two different types of sideswipe accidents that can happen, which include collisions from the opposite direction, and crashes that happen when the vehicles involved are traveling in the same direction.
In Lexington, same direction sideswipes outnumber opposite direction collisions, however both can cause serious injuries
Opposite direction sideswipe accident
This type of sideswipe accident occurs when two vehicles traveling in opposite directions make contact with each other while driving parallel to each other. This type of accident can happen when one driver crosses over the centerline or median, or when both drivers veer toward the same side of the road simultaneously. In this type of sideswipe accident, the point of impact is typically at the sides of the vehicles, near the front or rear, and the damage may be limited to the sides of the vehicles, or can be more extensive, depending on the speed and angle of impact. These accidents can be particularly dangerous, as they can result in loss of vehicle control, spinouts, and even head-on collisions.
Same direction sideswipe accident
A same direction sideswipe accident occurs when two vehicles traveling in the same direction make contact with each other while driving parallel to each other. This type of accident can happen when one driver changes lanes without checking their blind spot, or when both drivers try to merge into the same lane at the same time. These accidents can be dangerous, as they can result in loss of vehicle control, spinouts, and even multi-vehicle collisions if other cars are in close proximity. Same direction sideswipe accidents are more common on highways and multi-lane roads, such as I-75, where drivers are changing lanes frequently.
Common factors of sideswipe accidents
There are many factors that can contribute to a sideswipe wreck in Lexington.
- Distracted driving: When drivers are not paying attention to the road, they may drift out of their lane and into the path of another vehicle, causing a sideswipe accident.
- Failure to signal: When drivers do not use their turn signals when changing lanes, it can surprise other drivers who are in their blind spot.
- Reckless driving: When drivers are speeding, tailgating, or weaving in and out of traffic, they increase the likelihood of causing a crash.
- Impaired driving: When drivers are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, they may have impaired judgment and reaction time, making it more likely for them to cause a sideswipe accident.
- Fatigue: When drivers are tired, they may have reduced reaction time and be less alert, increasing the risk of a sideswipe accident.
- Road conditions: Wet or icy roads can reduce traction and make it easier for a driver to lose control.
How to determine fault in a Lexington sideswipe accident?
Determining fault in a sideswipe accident in Lexington, KY, or understanding “who swiped who”, can be a complex process that involves the police, insurance adjusters, and a skilled car accident lawyer. This is especially true when there is a personal injury claim involved, as the investigation will assign fault, or a percentage of fault, to one or both drivers.
Several factors can help determine who is at fault, including:
- Physical evidence like scratches or paint transfer on the vehicles
- The statements of eyewitnesses who saw the accident
- The position and movement of the vehicles before and after the impact
- Skid marks left on the road
In addition, traffic surveillance footage may be available if the accident occurred in an area with cameras. The police report is another important piece of evidence, as it documents the details of the accident, including statements from drivers, witnesses, and any physical evidence.
Given the unique circumstances of each sideswipe accident, it’s crucial to work with an experienced car accident law firm in Lexington, KY, that has the resources to investigate the accident on your behalf. They can help you navigate the legal process and work towards a fair settlement for any injuries or damages sustained.
In Lexington, you can still recover compensation if you were partly at fault
In Kentucky, car accidents are governed by a pure comparative negligence law. This means that you may be able to recover damages from the other driver, even if you were partially responsible for the accident. In fact, even if the majority of the fault lies with you, you may still be able to seek compensation from the other driver as long as they also bear some responsibility for the crash.
Common injuries after sideswipe accidents
Many drivers and victims suffer injuries following a sideswipe car wreck. Commonly, these injuries can include one, or a combination of:
- Soft tissue injuries
- Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Internal injuries
- Psychological injuries, such as anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder
It’s important to seek medical attention after a sideswipe car accident, even if you do not feel any immediate symptoms. Some injuries may take time to appear, and delaying treatment can worsen the condition. If you have been involved in a sideswipe car accident, it’s recommended that you consult with a medical professional and a law firm who can help you understand your rights and options.
Don’t deal with the insurance company alone
If you’ve been injured by a negligent driver in a sideswipe collision, hire an experienced attorney to negotiate a settlement on your behalf. Insurance companies are notorious for offering far less than what an accident victim deserves. Keep in mind that initial injuries and damages are not the only thing to think about. Many times, accident victims require long-term care, experience future lost wages, and have other needs that the insurance company will not simply compensate for. To help avoid financial stress now and in the future, you’ll want to ensure that you’ve taken every step possible to get the compensation you deserve by hiring a law firm that has experience handling personal injury claims.
Get Hughes & Coleman Injury Lawyers today and get it done
Hiring a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible can ensure that you recover damages that you’re entitled to. Let an experienced law firm like Hughes & Coleman deal with insurance company and get you the most compensation possible.
Don’t wait. Contact us today. We’re here for you 24/7.
Get it done.