One of the last places you want to be is in the middle of a sideswipe car accident, as it can be a frightening and dangerous experience. If you are involved in a sideswipe collision in Elizabethtown, KY, the steps you take after can impact your health, and the compensation you may be entitled to.
If you have been involved in an accident through no fault of your own, call Hughes & Coleman Injury Lawyers today. Every car accident lawyer at our firm is dedicated to ensuring that your legal rights are protected and that you receive every dollar you deserve. Our legal team is available 24/7 to take your call, and our consultations are always free.
Get it done.
Steps to take after being sideswiped in Elizabethtown, KY
In this video, Attorney Lee Coleman takes you through the necessary steps you need to take after a sideswipe collision in Elizabethtown, KY.
Follow these steps if you are involved in a sideswipe accident in Elizabethtown, KY. Making sure you have the evidence you need will help solidify a strong personal injury claim:
- Do a self-check inventory first. Are you or your passengers hurt?
- Dial 911 immediately. A police officer should come to the accident scene, but if they do not, make sure to submit a crash report to the Department of Kentucky State Police. Getting the sideswipe crash report completed early is very important, and it is required by Kentucky law within 10 days of the accident.
- Get medical help right away. Nothing is more important than your health. Document all your injuries and keep your treatment paperwork in one place for your personal injury case and any insurance claims.
- Move your vehicle to a safe place when you can. To keep your vehicle away from oncoming traffic and a second collision, move it to a location out of the way. You’ll be in a much safer position if you can get your car to the side of the road to prevent other drivers from hitting it.
- Get out your camera. It is critical to document the accident scene to support your injury claim, especially in a sideswipe where fault may be difficult to establish. First, get video and photos of the accident scene from multiple angles and get several photos of the damage to all vehicles involved. Take photos of any injuries. Also, take photos of identification or insurance cards. Remember, you are helping others understand what happened. Photos of things like mile markers, skid marks, broken glass and speed limit signs are all examples of evidence that can help support your personal injury claim and visually tell the story of what happened.
- Write down or voice record details about the accident. Days after a wreck, it can be hard to remember important details. Along with the police report, make sure you write down anything noteworthy about what happened. If you don’t have something to write with, pick up your phone and voice record the location, date, and time where it happened. You can note the direction the vehicles were headed and things like mile markers or the other license plate number.
- Exchange contact information with the other drivers. Again, take photos or write down the driver’s license and insurance card information of the other drivers involved in the wreck. Get the other driver’s address, phone number, email, and vehicle information, including the make, model, and license plate number. Also, ask for the vehicle identification number (VIN). You will find it on the driver’s side dashboard.
- If possible, talk to witnesses. If there are people who saw the accident, write down or record their name, phone number and email address. Witnesses can also be part of your injury claim evidence.
- The accident is under investigation. Don’t say it was your fault at the accident scene. Your car accident attorneys will follow up and investigate. Accidents happen so fast that it is hard to know exactly what happened until all evidence is collected.
- Contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Elizabethtown, KY. A law firm who has your best interests in mind can provide you with the necessary guidance following the wreck to ensure that you receive fair compensation for any injuries you have sustained due to someone else’s negligence.
How Elizabethtown car accident lawyers can help if you are injured in a sideswipe accident
This could be one of the most stressful times of your life, and a car accident lawyer will prioritize your case in the following ways to ease the burden of a wreck:
- Gather police reports and other evidence to evaluate fault and damages you may be entitled to
- Provide you with legal guidance so that you can ensure your rights are protected
- Deal with the insurance company on your behalf to ensure you receive every dollar you deserve
When you hire Hughes & Coleman, you will have a team dedicated to your well-being, and obtaining compensation for your injuries and other damages.
Damages an attorney will look to recover on your behalf
Car accident lawyers will help ensure you receive all the financial compensation you’re entitled to. Often, insurance companies will offer unreasonable settlements that do not consider future expenses. It is in your best interest to hire an Elizabethtown auto accident attorney to seek compensation for:
- Medical bills and future medical costs
- Lost wages as a result of the injuries you’ve sustained
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage, including damage to your vehicle
- Other losses you may have incurred as a result of the accident
To ensure you put yourself in the best position possible, contact a law firm immediately after the wreck. Don’t wait.
Call us at 800-800-4600 for a free consultation. We’re available to you 24/7. Get it done.
In the state of Kentucky and in the city of Elizabethtown, Sideswipe accidents happen regularly
Elizabethtown is one of the largest cities in Kentucky and continues to grow, ranking in the Top 10 in population with more than 31,000 people in 2021. Its highways and roads are among the most traveled. That’s why sideswipe collisions are one of the most common accidents in Elizabethtown and the Commonwealth. According to the 2020 Kentucky Traffic Collision Facts Report, sideswipe collisions (both meeting and passing) reflect more than 20% of all collisions and 6% of fatal collisions.
Sideswipe accidents come in two ways
There are two different kinds of sideswipe accidents that can happen, which include collisions from the opposite direction and crashes that happen when the vehicles involved are traveling in the same direction.
Sideswipe accident – opposite direction
An opposite-direction sideswipe accident happens when two vehicles traveling in opposite directions make contact with each other while driving parallel to each other. These accidents can be dangerous, resulting in loss of vehicle control, spinouts and even head-on collisions. This accident can happen when one driver crosses over the centerline or median or when both drivers veer toward the same side of the road simultaneously. In this type of sideswipe accident, the point of impact is typically at the sides of the vehicles, near the front or rear. The damage may be limited to the sides of the vehicles or can be more extensive depending on factors like speed and angle of impact.
Sideswipe accident – Same direction
A same-direction sideswipe accident is the most common on highways and multi-lane roads in Elizabethtown, like I-65, where drivers change lanes frequently. It happens when two vehicles going in the same direction make contact with each other while driving parallel to each other. This type of accident can happen when one driver changes lanes without checking their blind spot or when both drivers try to merge into the same lane at the same time. Again, these accidents can be just as dangerous as they can result in loss of vehicle control, spinouts and even multi-vehicle collisions if other cars are in close proximity.
Common factors that contribute to sideswipes in E-town
Several factors can contribute to a sideswipe wreck in Elizabethtown:
- Distracted driving: When drivers don’t pay attention to the road, sideswipe accidents happen. They may be eating, talking on the phone or talking to other passengers in the vehicle. Distracted driving is such an issue in E-town that in 2021 the Elizabethtown Police Department increased patrols for distracted drivers, and they recorded over 2,500 traffic accidents where distracted driving played a role.
- Not using turn signals: Forgetting or just ignoring the use of turn signals is a big problem. When drivers don’t signal that they are about to change lanes or make a turn, it can cause other drivers to slam on the brakes or swerve.
- Reckless driving and speeding: Sideswipe accidents happen many times when drivers are speeding. The Elizabethtown Police Department has stated they are keeping a close eye on speeding vehicles, especially in school zones, as it continues to be an issue. Other types of reckless driving include tailgating and weaving in and out of traffic. Both increase the likelihood of an accident.
- Impaired driving: Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol causes impaired judgment and increases the likelihood of a sideswipe accident and serious injuries. In 2019, more than 15,000 drivers were arrested for DUI in Kentucky.
- Fatigue: Driving tired can be as dangerous as driving under the influence. That’s because a driver’s reaction time is reduced. Thousands of deaths on the road are attributed to sleepy drivers each year.
- Road conditions: Slick highways and streets caused by rain and ice are additional reasons you could become involved in a sideswipe accident. Environmental factors like fog or bright sunlight can also reduce visibility and cause another driver to hit you.
Who hit who in a sideswipe crash in Elizabethtown, KY
Determining the at-fault party in a sideswipe accident can be a complex process. Unlike a rear-end car accident, where fault identification is often more straightforward, sideswipe accidents require careful investigation. Having the guidance of an experienced car accident lawyer is crucial, particularly when there is an injury claim involved. They will help navigate the situation’s complexities and ensure a fair resolution.
Some factors that help determine who is at fault include:
- Physical evidence like scratches or paint transfer on the vehicles
- The statements of eyewitnesses
- The position and movement of the vehicles before and after the impact
- Skid marks left on the road can also be useful in evaluating fault.
If the accident happened in an area with cameras, that could become very beneficial. The police report is also evidence, as it contains the accident details, including statements from drivers, witnesses, and any other documented evidence conducted by the officer at the scene.
All sideswipe accidents are unique. That’s why it’s so important to work with an experienced car accident law firm in Elizabethtown, that knows the area and has the resources to investigate the accident on your behalf.
Can you be compensated in Elizabethtown, Kentucky even if you were partly at fault?
Yes. Car accidents in the state of Kentucky are governed by a pure comparative negligence law. That means even if you were partially responsible for the accident, you may be able to recover damages from the other driver. In other words, if it can be proven that the other driver also bears some responsibility for the crash, you may be able to get some compensation.
Common injuries after sideswipe accidents
Injuries caused by sideswipe accidents can include:
- Soft tissue injuries
- Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Internal injuries
- Psychological injuries, such as anxiety, depression or post-traumatic stress disorder
Seek medical help immediately after a sideswipe car accident, even if you don’t have symptoms right away. Your health and safety come first. Some injuries take time to appear, and delaying treatment can make the pain worse. If you have been involved in a sideswipe car accident, it’s recommended that you consult with a medical professional, and a car accident attorney who can help you understand your rights.
Remember, you are not alone with your insurance company
What if you need long-term care? What if you have lost wages because of a sideswipe accident? What if you must be a caregiver for an injured member of your family? Initial injuries and damages are not the only things to consider. There could be many needs that insurance will not offer to cover or consider without an attorney to fight on your behalf. If you are hurt by a negligent driver in a sideswipe collision in Elizabethtown, KY, hire an experienced attorney to negotiate a settlement for you. Insurance companies may offer far less than what you deserve, but that doesn’t mean that you have to accept it.
Call Hughes & Coleman Injury Lawyers today
Hiring a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible means you will recover the damages you’re entitled to. Leave the insurance company to an experienced law firm like Hughes & Coleman.
Don’t wait. Contact us today. We’re here for you 24/7.
Get it done.